Saturday, March 1, 2008

Pottery and Martins

I caught myself typing pottery instead of potty on a message board yesterday. I guess my subconscience is letting me know that it is feigning for some clay time. I wish I had access to that bit of quiet peace. Hearing the whir of the wheel along with the crinkle and crack of the clay as it slides between my fingers makes for a very soothing symphony. There is nothing like getting dirty. It is very satisfying.

As a teacher I did not have the time to pursue my own series of pots diligently. Hopefully in the next year I will be able to add a wheel to my studio and continue on where I left off. It is hard to pursue your own interests when you have 3 children 3, 2 and 8 months to chase after. By the time you have time for yourself all you want to do is sit and veg. Never once do I regret staying at home with them. I have tried letting them work with me, but they end up eating the clay. So we are going to wait a little longer before we dive in again.

The seeds the children and I planted in the egg cartons are starting to sprout. Gabriel is so excited. He keeps going to check to see if anything new has come up. I have come to realize that if half the seeds sprout that were planted I am going to have to give some away. Maybe I can give each child in our play group a pumpkin plant to grow a jack o' lantern from. I think that would be a fun thing. At least that is what I am planning on doing with ours. That is if the squirrels don't eat them first.

Yesterday, a flock of purple martins landed in our front yard. There were so many the ground looked black. The kids were very excited. They lifted up in unison and landed in the next yard. Then took flight. We ran from window to window in the house watching them. It is so refreshing to see the world through a child's eyes. It makes me remember that some of the best things in life are actually free.

No comments: